Friday, August 21, 2009

Michfest Part 7 (blaKbüshe Finally Hits Michfest)

Day 7 (8/8) Saturday
About 3 or 4 in the morning the monsoon rain began and I do mean monsoon. My wonderful condo tent started leaking at all the corners and I was cursing the ladies who helped us put up the tent who told us we didn’t need a tarp over the top or bottom of the tent. Lies! Lies! Lies! Okay I forgive them, but damn it was a mess. Then the tent started leaking from the top. So little drops eventually started falling on my head. Not cool at all.

I woke that morning very cranky because I didn’t get much sleep and then I was thinking, damn! I have been here all week waiting to do my set and then the rain of all rains comes on the day I’m supposed to perform. I mean I wasn’t the only one. Gina’s show was that day as well. Not to mention all of the other groups performing on that day (LAVA, Evolution V, Nervous But Excited and Jen Foster). It was a wet mess.

We were all up at the Belly Bowl for breakfast just shaking our heads. Chix Lix sound check was supposed to be at 8:45am, but that was a no go. So the ladies sat in Central Heating and practiced. I was told that my sound check may not happen, but then out of the blue I got word that it was happening because the rain had slowed. We gathered all our stuff and went over to the Day Stage only to have the rain start coming down in buckets again. It was a mess. I watched as the sound ladies did their best to keep that stage and all the equipment dry. We didn’t want any electrical mishaps out there.

Somehow they managed to sound check Nervous But Excited and then it was our turn. When we checked the rain was slowing, but still going. One of the stage hands was tipping water off the canopy so that it wouldn’t cave to the pressure of the water. We did a brief check and then I headed back to the greenroom tent to get ready.

My hair was still wet from the night before so no waves were holding. We tried to blow dry my hair, but it was too late. Bombshell started working on my face and slowly the band trickled back to the tent. Ganessa and Maritri had to go to Gina’s sound check and Pamela had to go back to Chix Lix sound check. Everyone got back in time, but Pamela was the last. There was no time to get her in gear because we were heading to the stage. It was all good. It’s really about the music right? Right! So we hit it.


[Beauty takes time...]










On a side note, Maritri had not originally planned to sing with me, but since she was there and I asked, she chimed in. Maritri knows some of my songs, but not all. I wasn't worried though. She jumped right in and sounded amazing with Tiffany!

Gaetano, my stylist, made me a dress for Michigan even though he couldn't go. It was a sheer sequence dress that hit above the knee that was screaming Tina Turner. You know what I’m talking about? Under it I wore a hot pink bikini top and hot pink hot shorts. I had on some hot pink heals and we were good to go. The colors were yellow, hot pink and orange. We looked great. Even the canopy matched!


[Maritri, Luci & I pre-show]


[Maritri, Ganessa & I pre-show]


[The büshe Rockin!]


[Ladies enjoying the show]

The sun came out and the show went off without a hitch. We had a lot of fun and were joined by the mud ladies who came running naked into the area of the day stage, danced and disappeared as quickly as they arrived. They were a lot of fun! You had to be there. I did a little shimmy with Bombshell and we all played to our hearts content. The set was "Release," "blaK Girls," "Give it to Me," "I'm a Woman (I'm a Backbone)," "Can't Blame a Tree," "Box," "I am American," "Go Head & Rise," with "Long Train Running" (slow blues) as an encore. It rocked! blaKbüshe on the land was Pamela Means (guitar), Lucianna Padmore (drums), Ganessa James (bass), Christelle Durandy (percussion), Tiffany James (BV) and Maritri Garrett (BV). I can’t forget Cathleen Ridley (on hands) who signed the hell out of my songs. The ladies put their stamp on the music. I know it will happen again. Hopefully next year. Please Lisa, Please!!! LOL!

After the show Lisa came up to me and gave me a big hug. She said my show was everything she expected and more! What a great complement. Elvia Kurt who is an incredible comedian and host for the Saturday Night Stage, also greeted me with very kind words. I think all my Buddhist “training” teaches not get to attached to things good or bad, but I did hold on to that moment and others to follow for a while. I worked very hard for this festival. It’s one that I’ve wanted to play for a very, very long time. I felt and feel very blessed.

After the show I made my way to Goldenrod to sign CDs. It took me a while to get over there so some folks bought music before I got there and I wasn’t able to sign for them, but others came through while I was there. Tiffany came with me so we both signed. The rest of the crew had to run to other stages.

While I was at Goldenrod two things happened. A sista named Olokun came by and give me a bottle of wine, which she insisted that I drink in the woods. Then Maria, one of the Native American sistas who worked the womyn of color sweat, came by the table to tell me the she enjoyed the show. I mentioned the Native womyn's sweat that was supposed to have happened that morning. I figured it didn't because the rain was coming down so hard I figured they would just call in off. Well Maria informed me that Barbara, one of the other sisters, got up at 3am and started the fire to heat the rocks for the sweat. She kept the fire going through the rain and then 5 women showed up for the sweat and they kicked it off at 9am as planned. What??!!! Do you really feel me when I tell you the kind of rain that was happening there? How do you keep a fire going through that kind of rain? Those Native sistas are fierce! I mean really. Maria said it was the hottest sweat of the week. Amazing.

After signing I want back to my tent, changed and headed over to see Gina Breedlove and Evolution V at the acoustic stage. Gina’s set was off the hook. Her band included Ganessa (guitar), Maritri (guitar), Judith Castleberry (vocals), Mayra Casales (percussion) and Jennifer Vincent (bass). Gina’s set was way too short for my taste, but as I said above the sets are shorter on the acoustic stage. Gina’s voice is like water and it just washed over us. Also I don’t know anyone who can wear a pair of jeans like Gina. Just beautiful. I hope to see her back at Michfest next year on the Day Stage so the festival hear more of her. After Gina was Evolution V. I really wanted to stay and see their whole set, but my stomach was angry at me. I had not eaten really the whole day because I can’t eat before I perform.


[Gina Breedlove setting the stage on fire!]


[Maritri, Gina, Jen & Mayra]


[Ganessa & Maritri holding it down for Gina]

Some of you know that I am witch. So it nice to be on the land and surrounded by my people. I have to be honest and say that many times when people think of witches they just think of white women, but we are much more than that. That was made very clear with Evolution V performed. This ensemble consisted of Aleah Long, Tammi Hessen, Ubaka Hill, Yaniyah Pathfinder, Queen, Nyame-Adama Selassie and Tory Trujillo. All women of color. All fierce. All doing the spiral dance! They opened with a procession down the long isle that leads to the stage. The called in the Goddess and proceeded to show Michfest how the sistas do it. I was only able to stay for the beginning before my stomach took over, but Olive has not stopped singing the Spiral Dance song. In fact she sang it all the way home. Fierce women! Just beautiful!


[Yaniyah Pathfinder calling in the Goddess]


[Ubaka, Tory & Aleah]

I headed back to the Belly Bowl to get some food and then I had to get ready for Chix Lix. It wasn’t starting until 10pm, but I just wanted to be ready. Christine Love let me borrow her white knee high platform boots. With them I wore a jean mini and a tie-dye shirt with a big peace sign. Was that 60s enough?

The night began with Leslie & the Ly’s. I had no idea what to expect and because of that I got way more than I expected. Leslie & the Ly’s was a lot of fun and although they do music, it was all theatre. Who knew that was going on in Iowa?

After Leslie was Melissa Ferrick. Her set sounded great! I was really getting ready at that point and helping other folks get ready for Chix Lix. Hanifah was singing “Girl From Ipanema” and she decided to wear a long dress. I was great! She looked incredible. Vicki was in her black gown for “Baby Love” something she says she rarely does, but she was wearing it well. The Topp Twins were decked out in wedding dress and suit while Teresa Trull was in her priests collar for “Going to the Chapel.” The Chix Lix band had on their CHiX t-shirts and we were ready to roll.

[I am ready for my closeup]


[Hanifah wowing the Night Stage with "Girl From Ipanema"]


[A few of the fab chix on Chix Lix. Pamela, Tory, Vicki & Aleah]

The set turned out really great. Some of the other songs we did included, Toshi doing “White Rabbit,” Aleah doing “Piece of My Heart,” Judith doing "Everyday People" and Ferron doing “Downtown.”

After the show there was a party in the Belly Bowl with DJ Rimarkable on the wheels. The place was packed and everyone was jammin’. I cracked open the bottle of wine I got earlier that day and shared it with my peeps. I was damn good indeed. Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz 2004. Check it out.

[DJ Rimarkable rockin' the impromptu set in the Belly Bowl]


[Happy dancing people in the Belly Bowl]

The party ended way too soon. In the workers section everything has to be shut down by 1am. It makes sense because the ladies in the kitchen have to be up at the crack, but it was our last night and I didn’t want it to end so soon. I wandered around a bit because I really didn’t want to go back to my wet tent and in particular my wet bed. My air mattress was soaked. Basically I had to sleep on the top half of the bed. That was not cute at all. We had contemplated staying for another day to see the Closing Ceremonies and to support Gloria who was performing her set on Sunday afternoon, but we decided to stick with the original plan and get on the road. I really wanted to stay another day because it's always hard to leave, but in retrospect I'm glad we left when we did. There is always next year.

1 comment:

  1. The bushe was hot like fire! Loved it!

    Leslie and the Ly's, my son LOVED them on Yo Gabba Gabba-good stuff from Iowa.

    Gina Breedlove.....marry me! It's legal here! Seriously though....lovely...kind...talented...simply beautiful...what more could I ask for?

    ReplyDelete