Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WRFB: Radio Free Brooklyn: It's July 13th and I'm going to Funk U Up!

Good evening,

Do not attempt to push the back button or go to another blog. You have entered my atmosphere. A land called Future Funk. A turning point; a paradigm shift. Hold on to your wig children this daughter's ship has come directly from the mother. This is not a game or some sort of hoax. The future of the funk has arrived. Climb on board. It's time to roll...

People have always told me that blaKbüshe reminded them of Parliament-Funkadelic and I have to be honest and say that I couldn't understand why. I grew up with P-Funk and I was steeped in classics like "Give Up the Funk (Tear The Roof Off the Sucka)," "P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)," "One Nation" and the list goes on. So when I thought about my band I could see similarities, but still wasn't clear.  Then I heard the rest.  "Super Stupid," "Bop Gun," "Red Hot Momma" and  that list goes on.  That was my light bulb moment.  

So what is Funk?  I have been asking myself this question for the past few weeks. I had the pleasure of  being a part of an all-star band paying tribute to Garry "Star Child" Shider aka The Diaperman from Parliament-Funkadelic.   I remember dancing to "(Not Just) Knee Deep" and "One Nation Under a Groove" as a kid.  Back in the day when grown folks had their own business and kids were not allowed to hang around. So we would leave and play the records of our time and dance innocently to the funk!  A much simpler time indeed. Before I was in the business of music, I was just a music lover standing in awe of it's power.

The songs that I selected for tonight's show are all funk, but some of you might disagree. You might think it's rock or soul or fusion, but I ask you, is it funky? Can you tell me what exactly makes funk, funk?

Is it the hard hittin' bass that stops your heart, the wah of the guitars or maybe the scream, horns in harmony, vocals that make you want to slap your momma? What makes something funk and not just soul, rock, R&B, jazz fusion, etc.? Do two, three or four genres converge at a starpoint that suddenly makes it funk? If something is funky does that make it funk? These are the questions I ask you.  What have you been programmed to believe funk is? For me there is only one question.  Do I feel it in your bones? If so, then that's the FUNK!

Some of the selections below we know well and others are rare gems. I hope you enjoy them all.   It's been a fun and funky few weeks.  Thank you Star Child for bringing so much power into one room for the love of you. Rest in the Funk!

Peace,
Shelley

1. Parliament - “Mothership Connection (Star Child)” on Mothership Connection (1975)

2. James Brown – “There It Is, Pt. 1” on There It Is (1972)

3. B.T. Express – “Do It ('Til You're Satisfied)” on Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) (1974)

4. Cameo – “Funk Funk” on Cardiac Arrest (1977) 

5. Atlantis – “It's Getting Better” on It's Getting Better (1973)

6. The Isley Brothers – “Fight the Power (Part 1)” on The Heat is On (1975)

7. Mother Night – “Julie Nixon” on Mother Night (1972)

8. Yvonne Fair – “Let Your Hair Down” on The Bitch is Black (1975)

9. Sly & the Family Stone – “Sing A Simple Song” on Stand! (1968)

10. War – “Galaxy” on Galaxy (1977)

11. Mother's Finest – “Baby Love” on Mother's Finest Live (1979)

12. Funkadelic – “Super Stupid” on Maggot Brain (1971)

No comments:

Post a Comment