Friday, July 5, 2013

Pride and Prejudice... (Pt. 2)

Back in New York there was no time to rest. I jumped right back into the fray with American Candy rehearsal, blaKbüshe rehearsal and teaching yoga. I managed to take a small break for myself on Friday, but Saturday the 29th Burnt Sugar was right back at it. We played the Harlem Arts Festival at Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem. It was a good time, but the person who went on before us went way over her time so our set was cut short. Yet and still, Burnt Sugar still knows how to get it done and make an impact short set or long.

The day before, I was working with my friend Shelly to get my outfit together for the Pussypalooza show. I had an idea that Chuz had actually give me so I was running with it. I don’t know if I’ve said it before, but I just didn’t get the shopping gene. I really don’t like shopping. It sometimes puts me in a panic. Yes it’s like that. It feels so overwhelming. I really hate scouring though stores, etc. I just want to see it and buy it. No fuss. No muss. Thank Goddess Shelly was there to help me this time around. So she met me at the show in Harlem and after we did a short fitting of all the things I bought. She used to live in that neighborhood so she had a friend who let us use his place to try on my outfit. Everything was coming together. I just had to get a pair of shoes and fishnets and we were good to go.

Sunday was Pussypalooza at the Mercury Lounge in lower Manhattan. It was also New York City Pride Sunday. That's what the show was all about.  I have to admit that I had a feeling for a while that something might go wrong that day. I knew that the show would be great, but my spirit told me to be aware or keep an eye out. Well low and behold it happened right as I walked in the door. I checked in with the door person and I saw that my band was scheduled to play at 9pm instead of 10pm. The last email that I got from the person who coordinated the event said that I was to go on at 10pm and since I didn’t get any other emails saying anything to the contrary that’s what I advertised for the last few weeks.

The first thing that the organizer said to me is that I was stressing her out because the band wasn’t there. I was confused because it was 8:30pm and as I KNEW we were going on at 10pm. Well I won’t get into the whole conversation, but she did have to apologize to me a bit later for her tone, etc. I had told the band to be there at 9pm so I text everyone and told them that they moved our time up and to get to the venue ASAP. In the meantime my friend Daryl was there to help out and Shelly and I went downstairs to get ready for the show.

Before I could even start getting ready the soundman came downstairs to talk to me about what was going on with the time as if it was my fault. I stated my piece, told him to go talk to the organizer and I continued to get dressed. Little by little the band arrived and soon we were all in the house. Shelly was almost done with my beat when the sound people started to harass me about getting started. Yes I said harass because he came down twice and the second time I had to get loud with a dude. Don’t come bothering the artist! Yes I went there! These fools don’t know! I later found out that some chick, which turned out to be the drummer for the last band, was also harassing my band as they were setting up and waiting for me to take the stage. God is good because if I had been up there, my Scorpio stinger would have come out and cussed her out! That chick is lucky that I have men in my band who were raised properly and won’t just haze a chick for talking out the side of her neck. I know I sound a little out of pocket right now, but that shit pissed me off! Don’t be talking to my band like you own them or can run them! Don’t be talking to them like they are boys! Oh hell no! That’s a no, no! *breathe*

World Famous B*O*B

Now I was ready to take the stage and I was pissed. World Famous B*O*B introduced me (she was really sweet) and then I hit the stage in my Technicolor dreamcoat, leotard with the sheer strip up the middle, fishnets, rainbow wig, pink lashes, black rhinestone heels and kicked in the door waving the 4-4. It was a wild week the week before Pride. The Supreme Court killed DOMA, which was amazing, but they also struck down the Voting Rights Act. Not so amazing. Also Sen. Wendy Davis in Texas stood for 13 hours for the reproductive rights of women in her state and the country, so there was a lot to talk about. After all that went down, before I started singing I had a few things to say as I stepped to the mic. I felt the need to remind those folks that although there is a lot to celebrate there is also a lot of work to be done and you will respect my blackness! 1, 2, 3, 4! And in we went into “I Am American.” Yes it was like that.



The gear

V. Jeff Smith aka the Darkman
Technicolor Dreamcoat




David Pilgrim



Jeff "the Haitian Sensation" Jeudy




Matsu




the büshe



There is nothing like doing a set when you are angry. That show was off the hook! We played the hell out of that joint. I have to admit that I love the look on people’s faces who have never seen us before. I love the look of shock and awe. I love the smiling faces and asses moving. I love the vibe and the energy of the people. I really love it happy, angry or sad. There is nothing like it.

I was so glad to see some faces in the audience that I hadn’t seen in a long time. Although the evening felt so much like a Mercury in Retrograde moment (funny that the show as at the Mercury Lounge too) I have to give the planet Mercury some love because the old people who are coming back this cycle have been amazing and I’m so thankful for that.

At the end of a show that consisted of “I Am American,” “Punanny Politixxx,” “Box,” “In Your View,” and “Power on the Floor” the people were sufficiently turned out. All in a nights work. I know I don’t sound very humble right now, but that’s just how I felt that night and sometimes an honest level of confidence/arrogance never hurts.

So here we are in July and the party continues. I’m excited about the upcoming album fundraiser show on July 10th that will also feature Ganessa James, Chaney Sims and Ashley Phillips. It’s going to be an amazing night. I can’t wait. I’ll be sure to report back on that a little fast that you got this report. I hope you enjoyed the photos and there will be some video coming from the Pussypalooza show as well. Stay tuned!


Thank you all for your continued love and support. I really love and appreciate you all! I really do.


No comments:

Post a Comment