Wednesday, September 1, 2010

WRFB: Radio Free Brooklyn: Taking you on a low ride though the "West Side!"

Hey Eveyone,

So on this episode of WRFB I took you all on a journey to the west coast. It was prompted by a surprise appearance by Snoop Dogg and Warren G at the Michael Jackson B'earthday Celebration at Prospect Park in Brooklyn last Sunday. 

Although many of you know me as a rocker or a funkateer, I am a also hip-hop baby.  I really love hip-hop, but right about now hip-hop could use a hug.  So for this show I looked back to a simpler time in hip-hop; the 90s. Well it wasn't all that simple (remember C. Delores Tucker), but it was damn good.  Some folks pick sides when it comes to music, but for me, no matter where it's from, if it's good then I'm with it.  Back in the day I really loved a lot of music coming form the west because it was laced in funk.  Dr. Dre was diggin' in the P-Funk crates and turned out some gems. I must admit that when "The Chronic" came out I was totally in my feminist phase of not being able to support it because of all the B words thrown around, but looking back I must admit that that album in a classic.  I have a few hip-hop guilty pleasures. Snoop is one and Redman is another. Why guilty? Cuz these dudes throw around Bitches like baseballs, but damn that Redman knows how to turn a phrase.

It's tough being a woman who loves hip-hop sometimes. It can hurt, sting and even stab you in the chest, but I'll take Dr. Dre and Snoop over Lil Wayne, Drake and T-Pain any day.  It's a tough talk, but all of us hip-hop lovers young and old should keep talking and keep bridging the gaps with love. 

Enjoy my West Side selections.  I threw in a little Tony! Toni! Toné! because they are totally west coast and I love them!

Peace,
Shelley


1. Ice Cube feat. Don Jagwar – “Wicked” on The Predator (1992)

2. 2Pac – “I Get Around” on Stricktly 2 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (1993)

3. Tony! Toni! Toné! – “My Ex-Girlfriend”on Sons Of Soul (1993)

4. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg – “Nuthin' But a "G" Thang” on The Chronic (1992)

5. N.W.A. – “Express Yourself” on Straight Outta Compton (1988)

6. The Pharcyde – “Somethin' That Means Somethin'” on Labcabincalifornia (1995)

7. Domino – “Getto Jam” on Domino (1996)

8. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg – “The Next Episode” on 2001 (1999)

9. Cypress Hill – “How I Could Just Kill A Man” on Cypress Hill (1991)

10. 8 Ball & MJG – “Not Tonight” on Nothing To Lose Soundtrack (1997)

11. Digital Underground – “The Humpty Dance” on Sex Packets (1990)

12. Warren G – “Regulate” on Regulate…G Funk Era (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment