Monday, September 9, 2013

Afropunk: Put Down the Hate (Part 1)





As most of you know I performed at Afropunk After Dark on the Friday night of the festival [August 24th]. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I got the invitation. Not because I didn’t think I should be there, but because I have had a long standing internal beef with the festival. I know the question is why? Well, that is another story, but this is the story of how I had a change of heart. I’ll go back and give you the whole rundown as I usually do.


Trevor Gale is my SESAC rep. For those of you who are not familiar with SESAC or what it is, it’s a performing rights organization much like ASCAP and BMI, but dare I say, better, and that is my very bias opinion. Trevor is not only my SESAC rep., but he also happens to be Nona Hendryx’s drummer and one of the best people I know. That’s kind of funny to say in a way because I only know him in one or two capacities, but in those two, he’s really one of the best. I had been trying to get in touch with Trevor for what felt like all year up until the point where I finally ran into him at Summerstage in July when Nona was playing a show with Toshi Reagon and Sandra St. Victor in honor of Sekou Sundiata. Anyway, when I saw him there he told me to call him the following week. I did and we finally were able to make an appointment to meet in person.

August 1st, the same day I was supposed to go see the postponed then later cancelled D’Angelo show at Williamsburg Park, I went to SESAC to see Trevor. We talked about a lot of things, but at the end of it all he asked me if I would be a part of a SESAC/Afropunk After Dark showcase. When he asked me, I have to also admit I was hesitant. Not because I didn’t think it would be cool, but as I said, I have all kinds of “feelings” about the festival. But as I also mentioned, I respect Trevor way more than the negative voices in my head so I said yes. Why the hell not?! He told me he would get me all the details before I left for Michfest. Cool!

For those of you who didn’t check out the Afropunk site, there were a whole slew of events this year called Afropunk After Dark. Honestly looking at the After Dark lineup made me more excited than the Afropunk lineup, but again that is coming from a very “special” place that I’ll get to in a moment.

I left for Michfest, came back and started to promote for the Afropunk show. During the week Olivia, Trevor’s assistant asked me if I, or any of my band members wanted to go the festival. There was some sort of VIP situation going on. We all declined and kept it moving. I knew I wasn’t going to the festival before performing that night and also I wasn’t really interested. Moving right along. [Can you feel the hate? LOL]

On Saturday I got up in the morning and taught yoga class, got my hair cut and then headed back home to just chill until it was time to head to the spot for soundcheck. Now let me tell you about the spot.

We played at a joint called Putnam’s Pub. When I Googled the spot I was taken aback that it was on the corner of Myrtle & Clinton Avenues. Why? When I first moved to Brooklyn I lived on Clinton Avenue right down the street from that corner; the same corner that was kind of dangerous and had seen its share of police tape. A corner that was my local bodega and right next door was a little bar type hole in the wall. Next to that was the Crab Inn and next to that the liquor store and...well...you get my point. It was the hood. A changing hood, but still the hood. My, my, my have things changed.

The spot was cool and we had a little corner near the bar to do our thing. Stephanie was there to assist with sound and after a bit of a delay with Shea Rose our first act getting stuck in traffic, we were off and running.

Shea kicked things off and did a really cool set of originals and a cover. She also did a song she performed with Nona and Terri Lynn Carrington. A cool spin on Nona’s “Transformation.” She came with a full and and did her thing!

Shea Rose & her band


After Shea was Adam Falcon. I can’t remember exactly when or where I met Adam, but he’s been down with the BRC crew and the music scene around NYC as long as I’ve been here. Also Adam and I are two of the many people in the Electric Purgatory documentary. He did a guitar and vocals set that night that was amazing! He was so good that Matsu jumped on cajon to help him out for the last song of the set!

Adam Falcon & Matsu


We were up next and by that time I was more than ready to go. Shea had started things off with the girl power so Jeff, Matsu and I continued that vibe by jumping things off with “blaK Girls.” I think I’m always a little surprised at how much that song always goes over. It really is an anthem waiting for the world to hear. Hopefully that will happen sooner than later. I played bass on that joint, which I hadn’t done in a while and I could feel it. I really need to give my girl more love. She really is good to me.

In the dark corner of Putnam's Pub: Me, Jeff & Matsu

Staying in girl power mode we moved right into “Punanny Politixxx.” This song is tuning out to be another crowd pleaser. I really love that! I love hearing people sing the word “punanny.” For some reason it does my heart good.

Staying on the political front we moved into “I Am American.” I played bass on this too and folks were with it all.

Up next was “In Your View.” That song has so much fire that people started called for one more before they even knew that there actually was one more. LOL!  Shawn, my percussionist, wasn’t on the gig that night, but he was in the house. So he took my tambourine from me and helped out on the song, which was great.

We closed the night with “Power on the Floor.” That song is turning into one of my favorites as well. When the set was over a couple of folks came up to talk to me. I stood with one woman who was so moved that she was in tears as she spoke to me. I’m not mentioning this for any ego purposes because honestly I was shocked. I don’t think I showed it, but in my mind I was really moved that she was moved. That’s all I’m really trying to do out here. I’m just trying to move people. Whether it be your heart, soul or ass, I’m just trying to make something move. So give thanks that the energy I put forth that night was able to bring tears of joy and fortitude. It helps me to keep in mind that I’m on the right path on those days when I feel like giving up or shutting things down. Yes I have those days too.

Me w/ Greg Tate, Debbe Cole, Adam Falcon, Akili Walker & Trevor Gale

As I was getting ready to go home a couple of women who were at the spot earlier came back around the corner. I was so glad because I was able to get them on the mailing list and have a chat with them, which was cool.

It was a really wonderful SESAC/Afropunk After Dark night. In fact the night was so good that I decided to put down the hate and go to the festival the next day. Yes I put down the hate. LOL! As I stated above, I have so many feelings about that festival, but I just said to myself, “Shelley, go be a fan for one day. Go see the bands you love and learn about some new ones. Just go. Skip the VIP. Skip all that and just go take in some music.” So that’s what I did.

Afropunk: Put Down the Hate (Part 2)


No comments:

Post a Comment